Tuesday, October 30, 2012

You get my back . . I've got yours!

As I stated in my last blog, most of the work we were doing at our compound at the 9th US ASA FS (9th United States Army Security Agency Field Station) was classified, so one of the stories I am going to relate to you is of a fighting nature.

One of the first friends that I made when I got to Clark was with a guy who got there the same day that I did.  His name was Rob Henderson, who was from Detroit, Michigan.  Rob had attended Wayne State University and was a serious believer in the weight room at the gym.  Rob was not only smart, but he had muscles on top of his muscles.

Rob and I had been down in the Vil out visiting some antique shops trying to find bargains.  It had started getting late and he and I had not had anything to eat for supper, so we went to a restaurant that had some real good fried rice and nice cold San Miguel Beer.  After we had finished eating, paying our bill, we went up three steps outside to get to street level.  We were standing at the side of MacArthur Highway, looking for a way back to the Main Gate of Clark.

Let me take this time to explain and describe the different types of transportation available to GIs in the mid-60s.  First is taxi cabs.  Few and far between at this time of the evening. Expensive.  Then you have Jeepneys.  These are Willis Jeeps of WWII and Korean War fame.  They take and strip off the old Jeep frame and put in brightly colored finders, sides, and a lot of chrome.  These are less expensive than taxis.  Next are bicycles, these are motor bikes with a small mini cab mounted on. Can hold two or three people and is less expensive that Jeepneys.  Last in line is a Kalesas.  These are horse drawn carriages that will seat two or three people.  This is the cheapest from of transportation.

Back at street side, Rob and I was waiting when two kalesas stopped.  Rob said lets race back to the Main Gate.  The looser pays for the kalesas.  The bet was on . we lined up in the street. . the drivers knew we were going to race back.  I told my drive if he beat the other one to the gate I would give him a bonus.  When we got to the gate, Rob had lost.  I gave my drive the fee plus the bonus promised.  Rob was busy paying his driver.  Rob was steaming under the collar at loosing the race.  As he was standing in front of the loosing horse, he drew back his fist and punched the horse right between the eyes.  Dropped Down Dead on its knees.  By this time we were surrounded by all kinds of Filipinos.  They were looking around, picking up stones, bricks, sticks anything they could get their hands on.  I backed up to Rob and told him I got your back. . you git mine.  We had to fight our way to the Main Gate which was a couple of blocks away.  When we got close enough, the Air Police on duty at the gate came out and grabbed us and pulled us through to safety.

The next morning after briefing the First Sergeant about the little scrape we had been he, he said that he had already heard through the houseboy grapevine that rob and I were not to welcomed back in the Vil.  He advised us not to venture past the main gate until further notice.

Well, it's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life. . . .Til next time. . .

God speed my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment