Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Basic family information.

It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life, and the Louisville Cards are the NCAA Champs.  Am I feeling good or what? This is truly a new day.

I am thinking that the best way to start this new Blog is to get the last names down and their origins, or where does the names come from.  My last name is West.  Most genealogist say the West name comes from England where it depicted people who lived west of the main settlement.  But, that is only a general rule.  I believe that my West family had its origins in Germany, France and maybe just a little English on the side.  I have traced my dad's line back to about 1770-80 To Pennsylvania, where I have hit a brick wall and can't seem to break through. My dad's name is Victor (NMI) West.  (NMI) is military speak for No Middle Initial.

My dad's dad, or my paternal grandfather was named Oliver Hiram West and his mom's name was Margaret Strieff.  Both grandparents was born in Kentucky.  Oliver Hiram West's father and mother, my great-grandparents, were Hiram West and Martha 'Mattie' Parker, both born in Kentucky.  My dad's mom, Margaret Strieff was the daughter of Jacob Strieff and Barbara Grosser.  Jacob Strieff was born in Alsace Lorraine, which could have been either French or German, depending on who had control of the region.  Both French and German are spoken there.  Barbara Grosser was born in Bavaria, Germany.

My mother's name is Frances Harrison.  She was born in Garrard County, Kentucky to Green Franklin Harrison and Lillie Ann Hardin.  The Harrison family line came to Kentucky from the Jamestown area of Surry County, Virginia.  The Hardin family came to Kentucky from Culpepper County, Virginia. It is through the Harrison line that I am related to Matoaka Pocahontas, with the christian name of Rebecca.  And it is through the Hardin family line that I am related to the King and Queen of Denmark.  All the information will be provided through later Blogs.  I am going to attempt to attach a picture of my mom and dad soon after their wedding in Lexington, Kentucky.

Till next time, Live Large!

No comments:

Post a Comment