Monday, April 15, 2013

Grandma Lillie Hardin


It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life and I am feeling good. This will probably be my last post for a while as I am leaving to go to Albuquerque on Tuesday morning. I will be in charge of my two grandsons while my daughter, Michelle, and her husband, Nathan go on a two week cruse to the Mediterriean Sea and surrounding area.

Today will be a short and sweet blog about my grandma Harrison's mom and dad, Joseph Oder Hardin and Laura Jane Matthews. They died before I was born so I never did see them in person. I have stories that my mom always told me as I was growing up.

Joseph Oder Hardin went by the name of JO Hardin. But, he would laugh and say that his full Christian name had one letter more than the alphabet. He said his full name was Joseph Oder Quincy Adams Hardin. JO Hardin and his family came to Kentucky from Culpepper County, Virginia. His wife, Laura Jane Matthews was hard of hearing and was always pictured wearing a 'new fangled' hearing aid. I big complicated contraption.

My grandpa Harrison left home in Jackson County, Kentucky to go to the neighboring county of Garrard. He worked for J.O. Harding on his farm. JO Hardin and Laura Jane had ten kids, 9 girls and 1 boy. My grandma used to laugh and say she was about 7 or 8 years old before she learned what his name was. Everyone called him 'brother'.

Grandpa Harrison was sweet on one of JO's daughters, my future grandmother, Lillie Ann Hardin. When they first were married, they moved into a small one room cabin on JO's land.

On my next blog I will try to bring in the link to the King and Queen of Denmark.

I am attaching a picture of JO Hardin and his family. My grandma Lillie Ann Hardin is standing right behind her mother.

Til next time, live large. 

jim



No comments:

Post a Comment